Care of the Elderly

Funding for Residential care

The demographic profile of the UK inevitably means that more and more families are going to have to face arrangements for the care of an elderly relative. The cost of residential care can be met by contributions from many different sources. If the Local Authority has agreed that a care home place is required, the cost may be publicly funded but this is dependant upon the financial circumstances of the individual. In the event that he or she is eligible for Attendance Allowance from the DWP, or is assessed as requiring nursing care, the NHS may make a contribution towards the fees. In certain circumstances the NHS may pay those fees in full.

Mental Capacity

Mental capacity issues regarding a close family member or friend can be particularly difficult to deal with. We will help you with the legal aspects associated with these complex problems and will see clients either in our offices, in hospitals and care homes, or in their own homes.

Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA)

For more information please click here

Deputyship Order

In the event that an individual does not have the capacity to make a Lasting Power of Attorney it becomes necessary for an application to be made to the Court of Protection to appoint a Deputy who will act on that individual’s behalf. This process requires a medical report and as much information as possible about the incapacitated individual’s affairs to be submitted to the Court.

The choice of Deputy may vary but is typically a close family member. A Deputy can also be a solicitor or a representative from the Local Authority. The Court will generally decide upon the appropriate level of supervision for the Deputy, who is usually required to open a bank account and keep full records of dealings with the incapacitated person’s money. A Court-appointed Deputy must act in the best interest of the incapacitated person and must only make decisions within the authority provided by the Court.

We assist our clients with completion of the application for appointment as a Deputy and with the management of an individual’s affairs under an existing Deputyship/Receivership Order.

For further information please contact:

Lorna Purle Tel: 01372 374148

Adrienne Young Tel: 01483 565771